Thursday, November 17, 2011

Noodle Bar


Wandering the village listlessly in search of delicious, I was struck by the Noodle Bar’s retro sign and inviting open storefront. Less inviting was the price of their lunch special $8.25, on the higher side of what I like to spend on lunch. And yet, down I sat. I was eating within ten minutes.

I didn’t realize this was a Thai joint until I read the menu. The lunch deal is for two taro spring rolls, a cup of soup (supposed to be a salad, but it’s getting chilly out these days), and an entrée. The spring rolls were the best, with a thin, crunchy shell, and tasty gooey innards. They tasted different, yet I couldn’t quite tell which was the vegetarian one and which was filled with crab and shrimp. The soup was clear vegetable broth with seaweed, tofu, and carrots floating inside. It was good, if a little bland. There were plenty of entrée choices. I got me goreng with shrimp - noodles with egg, fried tofu, peanuts, and shallots. It was nice and tangy, and the shrimp tasted fresh. The sauce was a little thick. Actually, the slightly-bland broth and the slightly-too-strong noodle sauce created nice contrast and balance, and eating the two together was nicer than either would have been on its own.

When I was paying up, I realized that eating at the bar meant that a tip was expected. Total came out to slightly over $11. That breaks the dreaded $10 threshold, so even though it was a nice meal, I won’t be back unless it’s a semi-special occasion.

Location: 26 Carmine Street (Carmine and Bleeker)
Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment